Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Dear...

Dear Former Love Of Mine,

I used to regret so many things about you and I,  but I've finally come to the point where I don't regret, I appreciate.  Because of you, I know who I want to be and who I don't want to be; what I want in a relationship and what I don't want in a relationship.  You made me weaker and stronger all at the same time.  But most importantly, you made me realize that someone can love me.  You loved me with all your heart and soul and that is a feeling that I will never ever forget and never ever be able to thank you enough for.
The other day I found the ring you gave me.  The gorgeous ring with the white gold and the diamonds and the hearts.  Just out of curiosity I slipped it onto my left ring finger; the finger it used to never leave.  It fit perfectly.  While all my other rings now slip off my fingers, this one fit perfectly.  It made me feel good.  After we broke up, this ring used to make me so sad, but now it just brings back the good memories.  
I love that we're at the point now where I can truly call you my friend.  We can tell each other we love each other and know exactly what we mean.  I don't tell people how often we talk and how often we hang out because I don't feel like hearing the lectures and seeing the eye rolls, because the truth is, no one can understand a relationship between two people except for those two people.  Although, I don't even think that you and I completely understood the time that we spent enthralled with each other.
I could go on forever about the good and the bad with you, Former Love Of Mine.  Like the time you had my friend trick me into meeting him in the student union so you could run up and surprise me with a dozen roses.  Like the time you blindfolded me on Christmas Eve and led me through the city to give me the ring in front of the Christmas tree and LOVE sign in Love Park.  Like the time you walked into my room on Valentine's Day, where I stood getting ready to go to dinner, and told me you didn't want to be with me anymore; told me that we were over.  I have cried amazing and excruciating tears over you.  Too many to count really.  But in the end, thank you for spending the past three years making sure I'm ok and making sure I'm loved, whether it be by you or someone else.

Sincerely Love,
Me  

2 comments:

Cristin said...

That ring started out meaning something positive, and became something negative but it sounds as it is back to a new but different positive meaning. I'm glad you are at a good place with it.

Anonymous said...

oooh oooh i know who this is! so far im 2 for 2....im loving this!!!