Friday, July 18, 2008

"Too Young For Him They Told Her, Waitin For The Love Of A Travelin' Soldier"...

For some reason in the past couple of years I have accumulated an immense amount of friends in the military, two of which I've had some degree of a relationship with.  And in the past six months, one in particular has been sent back and forth to Iraq and a bunch of other places.  I used to swear I was falling for this kid but now we're just friends and I am 100% ok with that, but I still care a great deal for him.  So now he's going away for quite a bit and, quite frankly, it sucks.  We went to lunch today and I knew that it would be the last time I would see him before he leaves in a couple days.  When we were getting back into his car he asked me if I was ok.  "You're mood just changed." he told me.
The truth is, every time he leaves, I cry.  I cry and I worry and I think about what a good person he is and how even though there were times where he didn't exactly treat me like gold, he is the kind of person who only wants to help people.  And then I think about all the people who have friends or family members over there fighting, military people who are gone for years on end, and I can't think of any other way to describe it except that it sucks.  It sucks so bad and I know that this is their job, but I just- I don't know.  It just kills me that these guys I know that are so carefree and wonderful hanging out on the weekends could potentially one day go away and never come back.  

Just come home safe, ok?

No comments: