Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Oh, You're Married? Well Didn't YOU Just Get More Attractive!

This past Saturday night I was down in the city having dinner with an old college friend (I like/hate that I'm old enough to say "old college friend") who married her long-term boyfriend back in October. She was telling me a story about how ever since their wedding, whenever they are out at a bar, girls won't stop hitting on her husband.

"Why is that, do you think?" She asked me.

I thought for a moment and then presented a question.
"Does he wear a wedding ring?"

My friend nodded and this led us into the hypocrisy of married men versus married women. Here is what we concluded:

Girls become more attracted to men who are obviously in a relationship. This is because what we ultimately want is a man who can commit. Therefore, if we see a guy with a wedding ring on or standing with a girl who is obviously his significant other, our hormones go wild and our biological clock starts spinning like mad. Here is someone who isn't out at a bar just to pick up chicks to go home and bang, it's someone who is out with his wife or girlfriend who he cares about and is (presumably) faithful to.

"But why don't guys approach me when they see me with my wedding ring on?" my friend then asked.

"Because," I said, "it shows that you're committed which, while this is what we want, is the exact opposite of what guys want."

Once again my friend nodded.
"Makes sense." she said.

So then we began dissecting the other side of the spectrum. If a guy sees a girl that he is attracted to, and as he approaches her he sees some sign of her obviously wanting a commitment, this will scare him off. The boner goes down and he turns to go search for some girl with her tits spilling out of her shirt and drunk eyes.

Think of it this way:
Girls- Do we not find celebrity men more attractive when we see them being affectionate and caring towards a woman?
And Guys- Do you not completely want to vomit when you see a female celebrity with a new baby in one arm and a breast pump in the other?


2 comments:

tyler said...

i think its more than just proof of the guys ability to commit. if the girl successful lured the guys away from his relationship, it would actually prove his inability to commit. guys compete for girls, girls compete against girls. if a fella marries an smart, funny and attractive gal, other gals assume he's some great catch because a girl like that must have high standards. therefore, i he becomes interested in me, i must be superior to said smart, funny, attractive girl. it sort of like a job interview where in that the woman is the interviewer and the man is the interviewee. the man is trying to prove that he's the best one for the job and has all the qualifications needed. the woman is looking at the resume. it might also have to do with the lower probability of something actually coming from it. girls are far more likely to hang out with a bunch of homosexual men than a man is to hang out with a group of homosexual women.

Lex said...

You make a good point, especially the part about a guy being put up on an "oh he must be this this and this" due to the girl that he's with. Although, and I may be biased, but I think we can all agree that in certain instances, the girl that potentially lures the guy away from the original girl is very seldomly superior :) Oh, and remind me to tell you the extremely ironic verification word (or in this case, name) that I had to type to post this comment.